Tuesday, September 15, 2015

William Myrl; Letters to No One (22)

Dear No One,

I went to my first interview with the tailor shop last Thursday. They had a little room that was mostly table, it stood on its own like a plastic playhouse, and they had me sit. It was an interview, but it was also clear that as long as I wasn't an assjack I would be in. I'm not a champion interviewer; this is probably the fourth of my lifetime. When they asked me what teamwork meant to me, I said, "A group of people working together to achieve a common goal." That was not what they meant. I was given a thorough talking to about theft and misuse of facility resources that was what the last clerk had been lost over. Everything that goes through the printer and the copier is saved on a server and eventually looked over. Good to know.
I had to do a mock-up payroll sheet on Excel, not super difficult. The mouse was backwards, and I was out of practice, but I finished substantially faster than the other applicants had. Monday I went back to do a few things on word. I had to type a memo and was instructed I would be graded on grammar and form, not on content. So naturally I began with "I was surprised to find that our maternity jeans are made from the skins of baby seals", and later, "I wondered at how prominently gerbils figured in the manufacturing process."
No one called me on it.
They had me in the big office to tell me I was hired, again warning how people would try to get me to use the position to steal office supplies or what have you. I would have a target on my back, were his words. I would probably start this coming week, or whenever the unit manager got around to adding me to the list. There will be no formal notification, so I am going to saunter over there next Monday and see what happens. It won't be the first time I have gone out with the people who have early chow, and at least I will have an excuse.
Overall I'm pleased. I will be rolling in the riches of .55 cents an hour. The shops pay more than regular prison jobs, which cap out at .45 cents. Amazing.
Hope you’re having as much fun as I am.
Secular Secularum... I guess.

Yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment